Differences Between Motorcycle Accidents and Car Accidents
A motorcyclist has an 80 percent chance of dying when involved in a serious car crash. But a person who is injured in an automobile crash only has a 20 percent chance of experiencing a fatality. Since motorcycles are smaller and less noticeable on roads and highways, motorcyclists take more chances than automobile drivers.
Common Injuries Experienced by Motorcyclists
Road rash is a serious skin condition requiring numerous medical treatments. Injuries occurring to motorcyclists may also include fractures to the skull and spinal cord. In addition, victims may lose their limbs. Motorcycle crashes can result in the victims incurring traumatic brain injuries or paralysis caused by severe spinal cord injuries.
Louisiana Statistics Pertaining to Motorcycle Accidents
In Louisiana, approximately 8 percent to 10 percent of road accidents involve motorcycles. Most of these motorcycle accidents occur in larger cities, including New Orleans, Jefferson and Baton Rouge. Statistics have revealed the fact that a large percentage of motorcycle accidents occurred to riders wearing helmets. Consequently, these motorcyclists took the proper precautions while riding their motorcycles. If your motorcycle accident was caused by negligence, call our New Orleans motorcycle accident lawyer now.
Motorcycle Accidents are Often Caused by Negligence
Motorcyclists are only responsible for approximately 20 percent of most motorcycle accidents. This means that negligent motor vehicle drivers cause the majority of accidents involving motorcycles. Drivers frequently cause motorcycle accidents when they change lanes without using signals. Additionally, the driver of an automobile causing a motorcycle accident is typically inebriated or speeding. Opening a car door without looking can cause a fatality to a motorcyclist.
Pay Close Attention to the Louisiana Statute of Limitations
Contact our legal firm today if you have been injured by a serious motorcycle accident. According to Louisiana Civil Code (CC) Article 3492, the statute of limitations provides you with one year to file a lawsuit against the negligent party who caused your injury. Call our New Orleans motorcycle accident lawyer today to make an appointment for your free consultation.
Uninsured and under-insured drivers
What is Uninsured Motorists (UM) Coverage?
If you were hit by an uninsured motorist or under-insured motorist, you may be eligible for benefits under your own policy or the policy that covered the vehicle you were in. Louisiana law requires vehicle owners to carry uninsured motorist coverage unless they waive the coverage in writing. In many cases, you will be able to collect for your lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering and other damages in the same way as if the driver that hit you did have insurance.
Many insurance companies have special provisions if you choose to access the uninsured motorist provision of your policy. We ask that you provide us with a complete copy of the insurance policy you had at the time of the accident.
Wrongful Death Attorney
Personal Injury Attorney
24 Hour Response
Our attorneys will review your case and represent you throughout your motorcycle crash claim. Contact Broussard & Hart L.L.C. today for help pursuing a car accident settlement. Your first consultation is free and we won’t charge fees unless money is recovered.