We work on many personal injury cases tied to accidents with commercial vehicles and large semi trucks. In the last two years, Louisiana roads have seen 700 traffic fatalities and 100 of them — 15% — have involved commercial vehicles. The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that in a single year, there are 500,000 accidents on our roads involving commercial trucks weighing 10,000+ pounds.
Here’s what you need to know
- The leading cause of these truck accidents is truckers driving under the influence or intoxicated.
- These drivers are causing these vehicle accidents due to failure to stay in the correct lane, excessive speed, failure to yield, being inattentive, or cell phone usage while driving.
- Most accidents happen during the day under normal driving conditions.
- Most accidents occur in rural areas.
- An estimated 5,000 of these vehicle accidents result in fatalities for the smaller vehicles.
- In most accidents with large trucks, the commercial truck driver is rarely harmed.
- 86% of those killed in large truck accidents are passengers in smaller vehicles; smaller vehicles tend to weigh 3,000 pounds and are no match for the 10,000+ pound vehicle.
If you or someone you know becomes injured in an accident with a commercial vehicle in Baton Rouge, please remember:
- A personal injury attorney firm like Broussard & Hart who specializes in trucking accident cases should be your counsel.
- We are capable of identifying which parties are potentially responsible for the accident, including the driver, the trucking company, the manufacturer of the defective trucking equipment, a negligent mechanic, a negligent truck or road maintenance company, and others.
- With our long track record in trucking accident prosecutions, we are savvy to the typical tactics the trucking companies will use to try to hide their guilt in any case.
- We have an understanding of what a normal settlement should be for this type of case, whether wrongful death or survival actions are appropriate, and we ensure that our clients receive what is owed to them as the result of the driver’s negligence.
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident, and are not sure what to do, you can contact us toll-free at (866) 281-4774